Sunday 21 February 2010

Chickpea and Feta Fritters with a Mint &Paprika Dressing

Chickpea and Feta Fritters, with a Mint and Paprika Dressing
Chickpea Fritters with a perky mint & paprika dressing 
A chewable form of hummous is how I'd describe these little fritters, because they contain all the ingredients (and flavours) of that heavenly Middle Eastern dip, with the bonus of a little crunch when you bite into them.

I am mad about hummous, and could eat it every day (in fact, I usually do). It's extraordinary that chickpeas - which, face it, taste as dull as ditch water, especially if they've been been boiled to buggery and then tinned - can be transformed, with the addition of just a few sparky ingredients, into a paste that is so zingingly delicious. But it's their very blandness and flouriness that makes these little legumes such good carriers of flavour, and they really come into their own when paired with pungent spices and fresh herbs.

These aren't really fritters, because they're not deep-fried: they're more like griddle cakes. Whatever you want to call them, they're very quick and easy to make if you have food processor fitted with a metal blade. Watch them closely as they fry, as they turn from golden brown to charcoal in a matter of seconds.

When I was imagining this recipe (it's usually when I'm lying awake and fidgeting in the middle of the night that my thoughts turn to food) I thought it would be interesting with grated halloumi cheese, for extra texture, but my local shop doesn't stock it, so feta had to do, and it did well.

Feel free to use dried chickpeas, if you have the patience to soak and boil them. I don't.

Chickpea and Feta Fritters, with a Mint and Paprika Dressing

2 x 250g tins chickpeas, drained
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
half a white onion, peeled and sliced
1 tsp (5 ml) Tabasco sauce
1 Tbsp (15 ml) tahini
finely grated zest of half a lemon
the juice of a lemon
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
3 eggs
½ cup (125 ml) chopped flat-leaf parsley
½ cup (125 ml) chopped fresh coriander [cilantro]
3/4 cup (180 ml) white flour
2 tsp (10 ml) powdered cumin
milled black pepper
100 g feta cheese
vegetable oil for frying

For the dressing:
5 Tbsp (75 ml) olive oil
the juice of a lemon
a pinch of salt
1 tsp (5 ml) smoked paprika
3 sprigs fresh mint

Put the chickpeas, garlic, onion, Tabasco, tahini, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, and whizz to a paste. If the mixture is too stiff for the blades to turn, break an egg into the chute of the food processor. Now add the parsley and coriander and press the pulse button a few times so that the herbs are finely chopped but not puréed.  When the mixture looks smooth, tip it into a mixing bowl and add the remaining two eggs, the flour and the cumin. Mix very well. Crumble the feta cheese into the batter and season with black pepper and more salt, if necessary.  Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.

Heat the oven to 140°C and put a platter in to warm. Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan. Using a spoon, drop blobs of batter (about 20 ml/4 tsp each) into the hot oil. Fry for about a minute, or until golden brown and crusty underneath, then flip over and cook for another minute. Drain on a piece of kitchen towel and place in the oven while you fry the rest of the fritters.

To make the dressing, whisk together all the ingredients, except for the mint, and decant into a little bowl. Just before you serve the fritters, strip the mint leaves from their stalks, slice into fine shreds, and stir into the dressing.

Serve the fritters piping hot, with the dressing as a dipping sauce.

Makes about 30 fritters.
Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

10 comments:

browniegirl said...

What a fabulous recipe. Running off to see if I have all these ingredients...Im sure I do :o) Thanx so much. Have a great week

redkathy said...

Oh my gosh these look fabulous. I am so going to try these, thank you for sharing!

Koek! said...

Oh wow, those look absolutely diVINE! I've always shied away form chickpea fritters because they seemed a little bland. but not these! This recipe will definitely get used. Now I must just et my hands on some tahini...

Lana {lanalou style} said...

This sounds amazing, just my kinda meal!

Keri said...

Ohhhhh Geeeezz you ALWAYS get me with these recipes. FABULOUS. I absolutely have to try the fritters. They are a work of art. Thank you so much. You should write a book, I'd buy it. Love, Keri (a.k.a. Sam)

Jane-Anne said...

I can't tell you how cheered I am by your comments. Somethings I think writing a blog is the most bloody thankless task: you don't get paid for it, and you worry that a) nobody reads it and b)your recipes are crap. So thank you very much for your kind support. I hope they taste good when YOU make them.

Helen said...

Just discovered your blog this week and have really enjoyed browsing through your archives. Lovely site! Your recipes and photos look wonderful. I'm delighted to see that you plate your food on David Walters ceramics. I have several of his pieces (and a couple of Sarah's too) and am a firm believer that good food tastes even better when eaten off fabulous china!

Homemade Heaven said...

Hi my name is Rosemary and I am a chickpea addict! This is part of our dinner tonight.
I made the calamari salad on Saturday for lunch - out of this world - Thank you so much!

przepisy said...

Great recipe!!! I love it:)

Jeanne @ CookSister! said...

Mmmm. I arrived late at the chickpea/hummus ball (I only discovered it on new year's eve 1999!) but since then I have been addicted. The flavours in these babies sound DIVINE!